Volkswagen history and cars in Myanmar classifiedsThis German carmaker first started in the 1930's in Saxony, Germany and the company name means ‘people’s car’. The forerunners of the modern VW Golf and Polo were introduced during the 1970’s and over a total of eight decades, the manufacturer has grown into the modern Volkswagen group - now the world's second largest carmaker. The VW group controls manufacturing for other brand names including Audi, Seat and Skoda from worldwide production plants in the USA, China, Russia and many other countries throughout Europe - including of course its native Germany, where the company still has its headquarters in Wolfsburg. The current company slogan is ‘Das Auto’ or ‘The Car’.
Popular VW carsVolkswagen cars are still quite rare in Myanmar, even though other German brands are more established. Some local car showrooms have a number of German-made vehicles for sale, where VW cars can sometimes be spotted. Currently, popular models are the:
- Golf - a small family car
- Polo – a super-mini
- Beetle – the modern descendant of the ´love bug’
Buying your VW onlineThe number of imported vehicles has increased slowly over recent years, with the 2014 sales figure (3,000 new vehicles) expected to double during 2015. Buying a car online is easy via classified ads for your local area. It allows contact for communication and negotiation between the buyer and seller, with no added cost. Searching online for a car means you can easily locate deals and bargains, as well as ask for further details such as history and fuel consumption, before travelling to see it. Online, it is important to follow some basic common sense rules:
- Check that the seller genuinely owns the car you plan to buy.
- Check the background and history of the potential purchase, including mileage and periodic tests.
- If possible, have the car checked by an engineer or technician, making sure it is roadworthy and a good buy.
- Always have a valid purchase agreement or contract.
- Note that certain newer Volkswagen vehicles registered in recent years may be subject to dealer recall during 2015-16 due to emissions control software issues; this can be checked with the company via their website.